Turning Challenges Into Opportunities
- Students suspended even once in 9th grade drop out of school twice as often as their peers
Students on short-term suspension from school attend STRIVE, a strengths-based program that focuses on personal accountability, development of self and a goal-based re-entry plan for their return to school.
High school students receive additional follow-up support services to help them stay on track to graduation.
NEW in fall 2020- Virtual STRIVE (COVID-19 programming)
Boomerang staff will work with students over a number of sessions through virtual contacts providing 1:1 mentoring, specific academic support and small group skill building sessions. Instead of serving only students on suspension, we are accepting referrals for students that are at risk of disengaging from school.
Through these meetings we will:
- Provide mentoring support. Building positive and caring relationships with adults allows students to engage in self-reflection and receive new information. Boomerang also understands, that students are struggling with their mental health during this pandemic time and need additional support opportunities.
- Help students name and meet a short-term goal. Goal attainment increases a student’s self-efficacy, the feeling that they can be successful and manage obstacles with learned strategies. Self–efficacy is directly linked to positive academic outcomes.
- Receive individualized academic support. A certified CHCCS teacher will be working with the students and supporting the Boomerang team, to help students complete assignments and identify needed academic resources and skills for school success.
- Learn new life skills/strategies. Students will be invited to attend small groups with topics centering on stress management, communication and conflict, healthy relationships and academic strategies.
The Boomerang team will act as another layer of intervention to help students who are struggling to find their way to school engagement and success. At the completion of services, we will hold a virtual wrap meeting with parents/guardians, school supports and the student to determine a continued plan for success.
- 98% of Boomerang youth commit to SMART goals for the academic year.
- 94% of students move on to the next grade or graduate on time from high school.
Meeting their needs is an attainable goal
We connect you to vulnerable youth in Orange County. Many of us are unaware of the need and therefore unaware of the opportunity to help. Together we can work on solutions that will have an enduring impact on our youth and community. Your gift will provide young people with:
- A positive alternative to out-of-school suspension
- In-school support
- Brief counseling services
- Healthy meals