Job: Student Coordinator
Reports to: Program Manager
Classification: PTE, Non-exempt (9-month position)
Salary Range: $15-$17/hr.
Position Summary: Boomerang is hiring a Student Coordinator to provide support services
during the (STRIVE) Alternative to Suspension program at the Boomerang Hillsborough
location. Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Student Coordinator will carry out
duties related to the following: group management of youth, support Program Manager in
program development and related administrative tasks and record keeping.
Our culture is very important to us. We are looking for a long-term team member to join us in
creating a space where young people feel safe and respected through positive relationships
with adults, and who can carry on that kinship spirit while guiding young people to access their
own strengths and move past their challenges. Self-confidence and a commitment to ethical
and thoughtful human service delivery, social justice, a willingness to learn, energy to “jump in”
to a fast paced environment where every day is different, a sense of humor, creativity to build
programming, and a passion for working with young people is essential.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing and leading planned activities for students in Alternative to
Suspension (STRIVE) programming
- Use prepared curriculum and program materials to accommodate the daily schedule
- Manage the inventory of supplies needed for programming
- Assist in the implementation of the academic component of the Alternative to
- Provide academic support and tutoring to students as needed
- Work individually with students as needed
- Participate with and organize students in recreational activities
- Manage daily student flow: maintain control of and account for the daily whereabouts
and safety of students attending Boomerang, supervise students during a routine
schedule of activities and ensure students’ transitions between activities
- Help establish a program environment that promotes positive youth interactions with
other youth and adults
- Assist in the development of activities, programming and student-related record
- Provide support and guidance for interns and volunteers assigned to STRIVE
- Assist in preparing and coordinating meal pick-ups and snack preparation, paying
attention to any special instructions issued by parents.
- Strictly follow Boomerang guidelines in interacting with youth both on and off duty.
- Interact with staff and parents/guardians in a professional manner at all times.
- Ensure that youth leave the program at the end of the day with authorized parents or
guardians or according to parent/guardian instructions.
- Be responsible for completing required paperwork (student folders, data
input as needed, evaluations, etc.) associated with the program.
- Other duties as assigned by Program Manager or Executive Director.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, BA/BS in Human Services or related field
- 1-2 years’ experience working with youth and/or at risk populations, and community
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills required
- Training and experience in facilitating small groups required
- Skill and experience in managing youth and ability to positively provide redirection and
- Working knowledge of serving youth who have had behavioral difficulties and may have
experienced trauma, substance use and/or school/home challenges
- Strong ability to work independently, and balance administrative and youth work
- Ability to interact effectively with the governing board, staff, family members, the court
system, and other partner agencies
- Ability to perform job duties in a culturally competent manner
- Bilingual in English and Spanish an asset
We actively encourage diverse candidates to apply. Boomerang Youth, Inc., provides equal
employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or national
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and the names of three professional
references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject
line of the email. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until August 4th.
Interviews will be held the week of August 10th. Desired start date August 28, 2023.
Job Title: Assistant Teacher
Reports to: Site Director
Classification: Part-time, Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday; 3p-7p
Rate of Pay: $16-18/hr., commensurate with experience
Number of Hires: 1
Boomerang is a youth support organization that seeks to inspire youth to bounce back from challenges and move toward positive change. We are hiring 1 Assistant Teacher to provide support services to students in Bounce Back, an after-school program that works with middle school students vulnerable to disconnection from school. Our culture is very important to us. We are looking for a team member to join us in creating safe spaces for young people to build resilience, identify their strengths and move past their challenges toward positive change.
We are seeking one (1) Assistant Teacher to support the Lead Teacher in programming for our high school site, located at our middle school site, Boomerang Youth, 113 N. Scotswood Blvd., Hillsborough, NC 27217.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist Lead Teachers/Instructors in the planning, organization, direction and supervision of programmatic activities at assigned site location. Under the direction of the Lead Teacher, works closely with Site Director to communicate operational and procurement needs of site location.
- Assist with implementation of daily lesson plans
- Assist in lesson plan preparation (i.e., gather needed materials, equipment, supplies)
- Coordinates student snack and recess periods
- Provides assistance to student participants during homework and tutorial sessions
- Ensure that all student participants are engaged in learning activities during homework and tutorial sessions
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of student files and program activity documentation
- Provides supervision of student participants at all times
- Maintain accurate inventory of supplies and materials at assigned site location
- Assist in the creation of an emotionally and physically safe learning environment.
- Be prepared to help implement the lesson plans and activities for each day.
- Create a comfortable, inviting learning space conducive to student engagement
- High School Diploma required
- Associates Degree in Childhood Education or related field preferred, but not required
- Minimum one year experience with target youth population (school setting preferred, but not required)
- Basic knowledge of North Carolina Department of Public Instruction Common Core curriculum standards
- Ability to build rapport with colleagues, student participants and parents of participants
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Collaborative and enthusiastic instructional style
We actively encourage diverse candidates to apply. Boomerang Youth, Inc., provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or national origin.
For immediate consideration, interested parties may submit a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Desired start date is September 2023