About the Organization
Boomerang became an independent 501(c)3 organization in July 2016, separating from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA after 10 years of mutually beneficial stewardship.
Our mission is to inspire youth to bounce back from challenges and move towards positive change. We provide youth with the support they need in times of crisis and beyond, to manage their challenges, cope with adversity and become resilient, independent young people. Our vision for our community is one where all youth view themselves – and others view them – as whole and worthy community members.
Since 2006, Boomerang has served more than 3000 children in Orange County, serving all 14 public middle and high schools in both school systems.
Boomerang believes that:
- Every young person has contributions and strengths that are valuable to our community.
- Every young person deserves respect and a safe, supportive and nurturing environment to build life skills and seek support when they need it.
- Positive change is a process that takes time, and young people need to have a place they can come back to if they “fall” in order to bounce back (and this may need to happen many times).
- We should never give up on any young person; every young person’s strengths are bigger than any mistake.
These beliefs guide Boomerang to:
- Create a positive sense of community for each young person we meet.
- Provide programming that is trauma sensitive.
- Promote the value of diversity and cultural competency within our staff, youth, and the community.
- Promote social justice and build self-advocacy skills with all youth.
- Partner with other agencies, organizations, and donors to effectively use resources to plan and provide services that meet the needs of youth and families within our community.